Chocolate Caramel Cookie Candy Bars
photo by Ms B.
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 20mins
- 35 Kraft caramels, unwrapped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (40 count) box Nabisco Lorna Doone shortbread cookie
- 2 (12 ounce) bags milk chocolate chips
- Combine the caramels with the water in a small p an and melt over low heat. Place the shortbread cookies side by side on an ungreased cookie sheet. Spoon a dab of caramel onto each cookie. Then place all the cookies in the refrigerator until the caramel firms up.
- In the meantime, in a double boiler over low heat, melt the chocolate chips.
- You may also use the microwave for melting the chocolate. Just zap the chips for 1 minute on high, stir, then zap 'em for another minute. Remove the cookies from the refrigerator.
- rest each one on a fork and dip it into the chocolate. Tap the fork on the side of the pan or bowl to knock off any excess chocolate. Then place each one on a sheet of waxed paper and let them cool at room temperature (65-70F). This could take several hours, but the bars will set best this way.
- If you want to speed up the process, put the candy in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Makes 40 bars.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - NOTES : Substitute 1 cup of peanut butter sweetened with 1/2 cup powdered sugar for the caramels.
- The peanut-butter mixture will be of a consistency that allows you to spread it on the shortbread cookies with your fingers.
- Follow the rest of the directions exactly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I needed something "Twix" like for a Secret Santa gift to a co-worker. Decided to give this a try. It was very easy. Even easier, since I was lazy and didn't dip them in the chocolate, just spooned melted chocolate on top. I used only one bag of chips as a result. Half the batch went to my Secret Santa partner, half stayed at home for DH. Both were eaten and praised.