Chocolate Bundt Cake With Peppermint Glaze
photo by Ryan F.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cocoa
- 1 (18 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 1 (4 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract, to taste
- 2 tablespoons crushed candy canes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour a Bundt pan- mix the cocoa with the flour so it doesn't leave a white coating on the cake.
- Combine cake mix, pudding mix, oil, eggs, water, sour cream, and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour- but check it after 55 minutes just in case.
- Allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix powdered sugar with peppermint extract (to taste- adjust as necessary), then mix a few drops of hot water.
- Stir stir stir.
- If it's too thick, add another couple drops of water.
- Drizzle over turned out cake.
- Sprinkle with crushed candy canes, if you got`em.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I, too, made this on Xmas Eve for our Xmas Day Dinner - it was a smash hit, and so very lovely. My one concern was that I couldn't find a 1 1/2 ounce box of pudding mix - it was something like 4 oz. I just dumped the whole thing in there anyway! (My rum cake is similar proportions and uses the same size box) Came out beautifully moist and delicious. I'm looking forward to leftovers tomorrow with coffee!
Rich, moist cake that's delicious and very easy! Excellent with coffee. Made this on Christmas Eve for Christmas Day dinner and was surprised how much minty flavor the cake had after being stored overnight. Would definitely suggest making ahead. Used two candy canes, crushed, on top which looked beautiful and very festive. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>We moved to Vancouver BC in 2005 from Seattle. We have two daughters, Ever Charis born July 20, 2006, and Nina Margeret born June 25, 2009. Both were born at home. (Dayment trivia: Nina was born at 12:30 pm Pacific Time, meaning she was born right when Michael Jackson died.)</p> <p>Update 2013: based on my experience with, well... everything, I now work at a nonprofit that supports women and their families with postpartum depression/anxiety. (www.postpartum.org)<br /> <br />Sean loves to cook, I love to meal-plan and bake. It's a pretty good combination :o) I also love Facebook and Pinterest.<br /> <br />My life can also be found at www.daymented.com and http://www.flickr.com/photos/daymented/</p>