Chocolate Brownie Spoon Bread
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This cake is cooked in a cast iron skillet. It comes out moist and with a crispy crust. A Martha Stewart recipe.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus more for skillet
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch, well-seasoned cast iron skillet, set aside.
- Place chocolate and butter in a medium heat-proof bowl. Set over a pan of boiling water and whisk together until almost blended. Remove from heat and let cool. Set aside.
- Sift togetther the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Sift again and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and vanilla until thick and pale, about 6 minutes. Beat in the sugar until fluffy. Stir in the chocolate mixture. Fold the dry ingredients gently until just combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared skillet. Bake until spoon bread is set but still soft in center, about 40 minutes. (cook less for a more molten center.) Let cool 10 minutes serve warm. Dust with confectioner's sugar to garnish, if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Lots of foods are favorites with me, but when it comes to chocolate & brownies, well . . . I really enjoyed making this 'bread' or whatever you really want to call it & it tastes WONDERFUL! Easy to make, too! Instead of the powdered sugar, though, I served it with a small scoop of frozen vanilla yogurt! VERY, VERY NICE! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Beverage Tag]Reply