Chocolate Biscotti (No Butter)
photo by WaterMelon
- Ready In:
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 130 g sugar
- 150 g flour
- 50 g fine cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 g chopped nuts (hazelnuts or pecans are my favourites)
- 100 g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
- Cream together the eggs with a pinch of sugar until frothy using an electric mixer.
- Spoon in the sugar little by little to make a pale yellow batter.
- Sift together flour, cocoa and baking powder; fold carefully into the egg mixture.
- Fold in nuts and chocolate.
- Chill for about 20 minutes.
- Flour hands and divide the dough into two.
- Form into logs in the length of an oven tray.
- Bake for 5 minutes in a 175°C (350°F) oven.
- Lower the temperature to 150°C (300°F) and bake for 15 minutes.
- Cut into pieces about ½-inch.
- Dry them in the oven for 15 minutes.
- When cool, store in an airtight tin.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great flavour and easy to prepare. I used walnuts and left out the chocolate and increased the cocoa to 60grams. Not too sweet with a good chocolate flavour. I did find it hard to cut into slices without crumbling but I always have that problem with most biscotti recipes so that's probably just me or my knife! Do try this one - it's going to be a regular for me from now on.
Thanks for this lovely recipe! I made these as gifts for my friends, and of course I had to sneak a couple of pieces for myself (for chef's approval). These have a deep chocolatey taste, very adult 'cookies'. I used Swiss 72% dark chocolate. I decreased the sugar to 100g. I had a problem with the baking times - After the initial 5mins (175C), I had to bake the logs for about 30mins for them to be firm and dry, and the sliced biscotti for 15mins each side (150C) for them to be crunchy.