Chocolate Berries Cake With Mascarpone
I’ve prepared this fresh and moist cake many times adapting the ingredients to what is available. I hope you will like it as we do.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 120 g butter (4 ounces)
- 100 g sugar (3 1/3 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 180 g flour (6 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 250 g mascarpone (6 ounces)
- 125 g Quark (4 ounces) or 125 g cream cheese (4 ounces)
- 75 g sugar (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 450 g mix berries (raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries or other berries, 15 ounces)
Glaze (substitute any fruit jelly)
- 10 g glaze, powder for tarts if possible red (0.35 ounces)
- 1 cup water (or as described on the jelly package)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional, if possible from berries or pomegranate) or syrup (optional, if possible from berries or pomegranate)
- Heat your oven at 160°C ((320°F).
- Mix butter, sugar, vanilla and salt until soft and smooth.
- Add eggs one by one und mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking powder and cocoa.
- Add flour mix to egg mix and work until smooth.
- Grease you baking mold (about 25 to 30 cm or 10 to 12 inches) and spread on it the batter.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until through at 160°C (320°F).
- Let cool down.
- In the meanwhile prepare your cream mixing together mascarpone, quark, sugar and lemon juice.
- Spread the cream over the cake base with a spatula.
- Prepare the glaze as described on the package (I use http://www.curiosityshoptea.com/store/product/8550/Dr-Oetker-Red-Cake-Glaze/) adding sugar and if you like the syrup. Heat as decribed.
- Let cool down 5 minutes.
- Spoon or brush the glaze over the berries.
- Let sit for 2 hours in the fridge.
- Cut in pieces and serve.
- Note: Change the berries depending from what you have on hand! You can add some liqueur to the jelly too!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Almost too pretty to eat, but we managed somehow! This cake was so delicious and we loved the fruit on top. I could not find mascapone cheese at any of my grocery stores (not sure why?) so I used cream cheese with a little sour cream mixed in to make it more spreadable. I also used a store-bought glaze and used blueberries and raspberries on top. This would be a great Company cake if you don't mind sharing. Made for the AUS/NZ Make My Recipe Tag, February, 2012.