Chocolate Avocado Cream Pie
This recipe is a cross between a traditional chocolate cream pie recipe and a raw chocolate pie recipe. So it's quite a bit healthier than the traditional version, with no compromise in flavor or texture. Quick and easy to prepare, you just need to allow cooling/chilling time.
- Ready In:
- 9 inches prepared graham crackers or 9 inches chocolate cookie pie crust
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 7 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and yolks in a 3-quart heavy saucepan until combined well, then add milk in a stream, whisking.
- Bring to a boil over moderate heat, whisking, then reduce heat and simmer, whisking, 1 minute (filling will be thick).
- Remove from heat, then whisk in chocolates, butter and vanilla.
- Cover and cool.
- Peel and chunk avocados. Beat until smooth.
- Spoon filling into crust and chill pie, loosely covered, at least 4 hours.
- Top with whipped cream or sweetened sour cream.
- Optional: You can add 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes to give it a southwestern flavor.