Chocolat à L'ancienne (Hot Chocolate)
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 28 ounces whole milk
- 7 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup creme fraiche (or heavy cream)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch vanilla powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (for garnish)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipped cream (fresh or canned for garnish)
- Heat milk, cream & sugar over low flame. Bring to simmer but do not let it boil.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate and vanilla. Stir until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth.
- Pour into mugs and serve with whipped cream & a sprinkle of powdered cocoa.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wow, Tink, I love hot chocolate and have made a lot of the recipes on the site....I must say that this is the best of them all. What a lovely kept secret. So much flavor, rich, thick, smooth, velvety and decadent. I was in heaven. I enjoyed this so much that I made another pot later in the day. Thank you for sharing a recipe that has gone into My Favorites Cookbook for 2012. Made for Fall Pac/12
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi! I am happily married with two children, 26 and 12. For nearly 10 years when this site was Recipezaar and then Food.com I hosted several different forums. I enjoyed making, creating, reviewing, and photographing recipes, but what I miss the most are the friendships I made here. I was Food Editor for the Mill Creek View Newspaper in Mill Creek, WA. for about 4 years during that time. Currently I am the office manager at a small mental health clinic. I'm not on this site much anymore, but I do continue to appreciate and respond to all reviews posted to my recipes.