Chips and Salsa Salad
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
2-3 2 large dinner or 3 lunch portions
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice from 1-2 lime
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (optional, but helps cut down on the acid)
- 1 -2 poblano pepper (roasted, peeled, seeded and cut into large strips)
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper (roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 flour tortillas (8 in)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 - 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh tomatoes (heirloom works best here)
- 1 bunch cilantro, picked
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make Dressing: combine lime juice, olive oil, zest, garlic, cream, 1/2t salt and 1/4t pepper in a bowl or mason jar and whisk/shake to combine.
- Roast your peppers until they are a nice even char on all sides. (You can do this on a grill, under the broiler or I like to roast them directly on gas stovetop.) Place your roasted peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam. .
- Once the peppers have cooled, scrape the skin off, take the seeds out, remove the ribs (if you desire less heat) and cut into strips/dice. Place in a large bowl.
- While waiting for peppers to cool. Cut both the corn and flour tortillas into half and then into thin strips.
- Add oil, cumin, salt and pepper to a bowl and stir to combine. Add tortilla strips and toss to coat. .
- Spread into an even layer on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until crispy.
- Cut tomatoes into small wedges or large chunks and place in the bowl with the peppers. Salt generously. Add cilantro and 1/4 cup of the dressing and toss gently.
- Place the tomato salad on plates and top with tortilla strips. Serve immediately. (If you let it set to long the salt will pull all the juice out of your tomatoes).
- Optional additions: roasted corn, diced or fried avocado, grilled chicken/pressed tofu (marinated in the dressing), queso fresco.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!