I have been making cornbread for years and came across this recipe in a back issue of Food and Wine magazine. It is the best corn bread I have ever had.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
- Mix togeather all dry ingredients, and mix together all wet ingredients.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until mixed. (do not beat, as this caused the corn bread to be not so light and fluffy).
- Place a corn skillet or cast iron fry pan into a hot (450) oven for 5 mins then remove and brush with oil.
- Quickly add mixture into pan and cook for 20 to 25 minutes WOW!
- Hope you like it.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
We didn't manage light and fluffy (probably let the batter sit too long while preheating the pan), but we did get a hearty, tasty "Tex-Mex" cornbread treat featuring the spicy, smoky chipotle peppers. Too spicy for Lavender Lynn but delightful to the DH, this will be best enjoyed with a glass of milk or a cold beer handy. Cornbread baked in a cast-iron skillet has a certain style to it, and we might take it to the table in the pan.Reply