Chipotle Chicken Fajitas
photo by loof751
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 4 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 4 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 10 flour tortillas (8 inch work best)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- Place the chili sauce, lime juice and chipotle peppers in a food processor; cover and process until blend. Transfer 1/2 cup to a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
- Pour remaining marinade into a small bowl; add the vinegar, brown sugar and molasses. Cover and refrigerate.
- On six metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread chicken, green peppers and onion. Brush with oil; sprinkle salt and pepper. Grill uncovered, over medium heat for 10-16 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning occasionally.
- Unskewer chicken and vegetables into a large bowl; add 1/2 cup chipotle-molasses mixture and toss to coat. Keep warm.
- Grill tortillas, uncovered, over medium heat for 45-55 seconds on each side or until warmed. Top with chicken mixture, tomatoes, cheese and remaining chipotle-molasses mixture.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great grilled chicken recipe! For us these were not really fajitas, more like BBQ chicken soft tacos, but quite tasty none the less. Instead of skewers, we grilled these on cast-iron grilling plates, so instead of tossing the cooked strips in the sauce we just drizzled some over. Really enjoyed the sweet/tangy/spicy flavor; this made lots more sauce than needed so next time I'll probably just use half the sauce ingredients. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2012
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am a stay at home mom to my two wonderful boys; Triston and Lukas. I am married to a wonderful man who is my lifesaver.</p> <p>My mom is the one who got me interested in cooking. She always cooked throughout my childhood and I always loved it and wanted to do the same. My mom is one of the few people I know I can count on to always be there for when ever needed. She's my rock.</p>