Chinese Take-Out White Rice
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Rice has been cultivated in China since around 5000 BC, and half the world depends on it for survival. Leftover rice is a plus so be sure to make enough so that you can make fried rice the next day. From the Take-Out Menu Cookbook.
- Ready In:
- Pour the rice into a mesh strainer and run cold water through the rice while stirring it around with your hand. This washes the excess starch from the rice.
- When the water runs clear, combine the rice and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 2 minutes, then cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook the rice for 18 minutes, remove it from the heat, and let it rest with the cover on for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Tip: to reheat rice, place it in a metal colander or mesh strainer set over 1 inch boiling water in a large pot. Cover the pot and steam the rice for 5 minutes.
- Do not refrigerate cooked rice unless you plan on using it for fried rice, rice pudding, etc. Refrigerated rice becomes hard and never regains it's fluffy texture after being chilled.
- Cooked rice can be kept at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION