Chinese Take-Out Eggplant in Spicy Sauce
- Ready In:
- 2 cups peanut oil or 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 lb eggplant, cut into sticks the size of French fries
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon spicy bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 4 whole dried chilies, soaked in water for 10 minutes, dried and chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced pork tenderloin
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a wok, set over medium-high heat, heat the oil to 360º.
- Add half the eggplant to the oil and fry for about 5 minutes or until the eggplant is limp.
- Remove the eggplant with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined sheet pan. Cook the remaining eggplant in the same manner.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, bean sauce, rice vinegar, rice wine, sesame oil, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the oil in the wok. Add the garlic, ginger and chiles and cook 1 minute. Add the pork and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Return the eggplant to the wok. Stir the sauce and add it to the pork. Boil until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.
- To serve, garnish with green onions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a graphic artist, living in beautiful Fort Worth, TX. Next to my love of music, cooking and trying new recipes, I am involved in animal rescue. I currently have 2 rescued Brussels Griffons, 2 foster Griffs and 3 funny parrots. I maintain a store on Cafe Press to raise funds to pay for vet bills for our rescued Brussels Griffons. Please visit our store at http://cafepress.com/griffy_rescue or our main rescue site at http://brusselsgriffonrescue.org <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/cc-banner-7-09.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/hklogosm.jpg"> ZWT5 was my first, and I loved it. We had a great team. <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/hkban.jpg"> My current ZWT5 team banner for the first leg. <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/HKBIKE2.jpg"> We started out nice! A Hell's Kitchen Angel's graphic I made for our second leg. Things started to heat up! <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/hkbanknives.jpg"> By the end, we were HOT! The banner for our last leg with all our team members! What a blast! <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"><img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/potluckpbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"><img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Recipezaar%20Album/iplaytagin.jpg"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg">