Chinese Honey Chicken
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut in thin strips
- 2 cups peanut oil, for deep-frying
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger
- 3 tablespoons finely sliced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Chinese white rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 1 teaspoon water
- garnish toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- MIX THE BATTER INGREDIENTS together in a medium-sized bowl; it should be thick and smooth.
- Allow the batter to sit, covered for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine the chicken with the batter.
- Heat a wok or large deep skillet until it is hot and add the oil for frying.
- When the oil is barely smoking, deep-fry the chicken for 2 minutes or until the batter is just firm.
- You should do this in several batches.
- Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- TO MAKE SAUCE: Heat a small saucepan; when it is hot, add the oil, ginger and garlic, and stir for 30 seconds.
- Then add the rest of the sauce ingredients and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Keep warm.
- Reheat the oil in the wok until it is very hot, but not smoking.
- Deep-fry the chicken again until it is golden and crisp, about 1 minute.
- Remove and drain, place on a warm platter, drizzle with the sauce (and sprinkle with the optional toasted sesame seeds if desired) and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!