Chinese Chicken Soup Stock
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A request for Chinese Chicken Stock. From the book The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Three Ancient Cuisines: China, Greece, and Rome by Jeff Smith.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 5 lbs chicken backs (or both) or 5 lbs chicken necks (or both)
- 2 slices fresh ginger, each the size of a 25 cent piece
- 2 chinese preserved turnip or 2 preserved radish, in balls, coarsely chopped and rinsed with fresh water
- Place the bones in a 12 quart stockpot and cover with water.
- On high heat bring the bones barely to a simmer.
- Do Not Boil (yet).
- Foam and scum will form.
- Again, do not boil.
- Drain the bones, discarding water, and rinse the bones in fresh water.
- Add 1 quart water per pound of bones (5) and ginger and rinsed dried turnip.
- Bring to a simmer and cook 1 hour uncovered.
- Strain the soup and discard the solids.
- Remove the fat by chilling and skimming off.
- Note: Dried turnip ball is found in Oriental markets and a must in making good Chinese stock.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION