Chilled Corn Soup With Tomatoes, Avocado, and Lime
photo by larchie
- Ready In:
- 48hrs 40mins
- 12 ears corn, husked
- 2 white onions, small and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- kosher salt and white pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white part only, trimmed of roots and tough outer leaves, thinly sliced crosswise and swirled vigoro
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, ripe and diced to 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cucumber, small and cut to 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tomatoes, small and cut to 1/4-inch dice
- 4 tablespoons red onions, diced to 1/4-inch
- 2 limes, juice of these two limes
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- 4 tablespoons chives, fresh and chopped
- The day/night before serving:.
- Use a sharp knife, and strip the corn kernels from the cob. Put the corn kernels in a bowl for later, and place the stripped cobs in a large stockpot. Add the sliced white onion to the stockpot, and with just enough water to cover (too much water makes the stock too thin). Season with salt and pepper, bring the stock to a boil, and then simmer for 35 minutes. Discard the cobs when finished simmering.
- While the stock is simmering, heat the olive oil in a saute' pan over medium heat. Add the leek and shallot, and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the corn kernels, season with salt and pepper, about 2 minutes. Do not overcook, the corn should still taste fresh. Remove from heat and set aside until the stock finishes cooking.
- Add the sauteed vegetables to the corn broth (once cobs removed) and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain the broth into a bowl and puree' the solids in a blender, adding just enough of the broth to make a thick soup.
- Put soup in a bowl, cover, and stick it in the fridge until ready to eat the next day.
- Day you're serving:.
- Mix the cucumber, tomato, and diced red onion in a bowl with salt, pepper, and lime juice; refrigerate til serving.
- Dice the salmon and reserve for serving.
- Just before serving:.
- Cut the avocado and add to tomato/cucumber/onion mixture.
- To serve:.
- Distribute salmon evenly among 8 bowls, place a little mound of it in the bottom of the bowl. Ladle the soup into the bowls. Add a large spoonful of the chopped tomato/cucumber/avocado/onion mixture to the top of each bowl. Add a spoonful of creme fraiche, a sprinkle of chives, and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
This is a place where I am posting recipes to share with friends and family, but feel free to look at what I have got.