Chili With Buffalo Meat - Home, Home on the Range!
Generally, I think the leaner the ground beef, the less satisfying the chili. But I’ve hit upon this idea for using ultra-lean ground buffalo as the base for this very satisfying chili. It’s vaulted to my favorite chili concoction of all. Enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground buffalo meat
- 1 cup green bell pepper (diced)
- 1⁄3 cup hot red pepper (diced)
- 1⁄3 cup yellow pepper (diced)
- 1⁄3 cup orange pepper (diced)
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions (diced)
- 42 ounces canned tomatoes (diced)
- 8 ounces tomato paste
- 14 ounces kidney beans (dark red, drained)
- 28 ounces chili beans (drained)
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 jalapeno peppers (fresh or canned, diced)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- flavorful hot sauce (to taste)
- In five-quart skillet, sauté bell peppers and onions till aromatic juices are observed.
- Add ground buffalo meat and brown.
- Reduce heat and add canned tomatoes (with juice) and tomato paste.
- Add kidney beans and chili beans and stir in the jalepeño peppers.
- Add chili powder, salt, pepper, and other spices. For a bit of variety, consider adding two tablespoons of brown sugar!
- Reduce to simmer and cook (covered) for 90 to 120 minutes, adding hot sauce to taste.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Best with cornbread and a great ale.