Chili With Beans and Ground Turkey
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 20mins
- Cook beans, oregano, onion, garlic and 1 Tbs. chili powder in six cups water for 2 hours. Salt to taste after 1 hour.
- Toward end of bean cooking time, brown meat and garlic powder. Drain. Return to pan. Sprinkle with flour. (If flour sticks to pan, use a little water from beans to scrape sides.) Brown till combined.
- Set aside.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes (don't drain), chili powder, basil, and oregano to crock pot and stir till blended.
- Add meat/flour mixture to crock pot.
- Add beans to crock pot. (Reserve water).
- Heat on "high" for one hour, then reduce to low and cook for at least one hour more. Add water from beans to chili if mixture becomes too thick.
- Prep time does not include soaking beans, but does include bean cooking time.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Once a working family with four kids, we are now empty-nesters with four grandchildren. Those large family dinners have been reduced to creative dinners for two. :) I manage two departments and a large database at a local hospital and tend to work long hours, but love to get in the kitchen with my wonderful husband. During the summer months I live in the yard, either gardening, landscaping or swimming. In the fall we pick grapes and make wine. In the winter months I tend to bake, make candles, bath salts and body butters. I am also a blogger and photographer. For us? It's about the freedom of being creative. :)