Chickpeas With Rice and Vegetables
photo by Anne Sainz
- Ready In:
- 1hr 55mins
- 2 large onions, thickly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 green pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 cups raw carrots, sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 15 stuffed olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup whole grain rice (I like Lundberg Wild Blend)
- Add all ingredients to a large pot (at least 5 qt) and mix well.
- Bring broth to a boil, stirring a few times to distribute rice and prevent sticking on the bottom.
- Turn heat down, cover and cook on low about 70 minutes or until rice is done. Mix 2 or 3 times while cooking, adding small amounts of water if needed.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
In 2011, I saw a PBS Special, 3 Steps to Incredible Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. It inspired me to change to a Nutritarian cooking style, which focuses on the nutrient density of the foods you eat. Since that time, I have been collecting recipes. I have found a few recipes ready to go but most of them were either too complicated for everyday use or needed some changes to fit with this eating style.