Chicken With White and Wild Rice Soup
- Ready In:
- 1 (7 ounce) package chicken and wild rice soup mix (5.5 - 7 ounce pkg) or (7 ounce) package garlic and herb rice mix (5.5 - 7 ounce pkg)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 quart chicken stock or 1 quart broth
- 2 lbs chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- hot sauce
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Preheat a large soup pot over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery, bay leaf, and thyme, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, bring up to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the parsley, dill, the lemon juice, and hot sauce to taste. Remove the bay leaf.
- Divide the cooked rice among 4 serving bowls; ladle the soup over the rice, making sure to distribute the chicken and veggies evenly among the bowls.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>My rating system: (I don't like giving bad reviews, so if I don't like it, I'll just not review it.) <br /><br />5 Stars OMG, this is one of the most amazing things I've ever eaten! I can't stop eating it, and I've eaten myself into a food coma. <br /><br />4 Stars The recipe is wonderful as is. I can't think of a single improvement and I will most likely make it again. <br /><br />3 Stars This needed a little *something*something*. I might make it again, but will add my own improvements if I do. <br /><br />I love to eat! And I love to cook. I tend to take over the kitchen when I get in there. Even the dog knows the command get outta my kitchen! LOL. Cooking for other people and trying new recipes or foods is FUN! I have a small (but growing quickly!!) cookbook collection and one of my favorite things to do is to read recipes and plan meals. Rachael Ray, Horn of the Moon and Moosewood are favorites of mine. <br /><br />We spend a lot of time outdoors camping, hiking and backpacking. Yup. I cook in the woods too! I've made deals with my hiking buddies... If they carry in my food, I'll cook for them. I recently published a backpacking cookbook. Check out the website: http://www.onepanwonders.com <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/AnimatedPRD.gif alt= /> <img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif alt= /></p>