Chicken With Sweet Wine & Garlic
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 1 chicken, about 3lb 5oz, jointed into 8 pieces
- 4 -5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 7⁄8 cup sweet wine, such as Sauternes or 7/8 cup marsala
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig bay leaf tied with string
- 1 head garlic, 8-12 cloves
- 2 ounces butter
- 7 ounces chestnut mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- lemon juice, if needed
- Tip the flour into a large food bag. Add the chicken pieces, two at a time, and shake well to coat evenly. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large pan, add a few pieces of chicken and fry on all sides until well browned. You'll need to do this in batches and you may need a touch more oil or fat. Remove the pieces to a large saucepan or flameproof casserole.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to the pan, add the shallots and fry gently until softened, but not browned. Add the wine and allow to bubble until it is reduced a little. Add the stock, herb bundle, mustard if using and seasoning and bring to the boil. Pour over the chicken.
- Cover the pan tightly and simmer for 45 mins until the chicken is tender and the sauce thickened and reduced.
- Meanwhile, separate the garlic head into individual cloves and put in a small pan with water to cover. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20-25 mins until the garlic is tender. Drain and cool under running cold water. Peel the garlic.
- Heat half the butter and a splash of oil in a frying pan. Add the mushrooms and cook quickly over a moderate heat until just softened. Tip into a bowl. Wipe out the pan and add the remaining butter and a splash of oil. Add the garlic and fry gently, shaking the pan until lightly browned. Season lightly.
- Stir the mushrooms and thre cream into the chicken and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 mins, then taste and add more seasoning and a little lemon juice if it needs it. Spoon the chicken and sauce onto a warm platter and scatter with garlic.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Manchester, UK with my fiance and young son. I work at the local hospital in pediatrics and love my job. I also love cooking!! I have a sweet tooth but try and make healthy family meals, I'm not against some lovely treats now and then though :)