Chicken With Sourdough-Mushroom Stuffing
photo by WiGal
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 40mins
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon ground sage
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 8 small skinless chicken legs (thigh-drumstick piece)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 cups fresh mushrooms (quartered or sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 cups sourdough baguettes, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 10 oz.)
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrot
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons snipped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- Lightly coat the inside of a 5-1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Reserve 1 teaspoon of the lemon peel. In a small bowl combine remaining lemon peel, sage, seasoned salt and pepper. Remove 3/4 of the mixture and rub onto chicken legs. Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Melt butter in a skillet, add mushrooms and garlic.
- Cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until just tender.
- Stir in sage mixture.
- Transfer mushroom mixture to a large bowl. Add bread cubes, and shredded carrot. Drizzle with chicken broth, tossing gently.
- Lightly pack stuffing on top of chicken. Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Transfer stuffing and chicken to a platter.
- In a bowl combine reserved lemon peel, walnuts, and parsley; sprinkle over chicken.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I am so impressed with this that if I could give it more stars I would! Why heat up the kitchen? DH wants this one again. I lined the crock pot with a liner so the clean up later was easy. The seasoning was spot on--love the hint of lemon-enticing aroma. I had my crock pot on for 5 hours and the chicken was very tender. I used a combination of dark and light meat but the breast was dried out and the legs were perfect! SO... next time will make as Annacia posted-legs only. The garnish of sage mixture, lemon, walnuts, and parsley gives this a special taste. Lots of luscious sauce so will be making gravy when I reheat the leftovers. Leftovers make us happy. Thank you for posting a superb recipe! Made for Crock Pot Photo Challenge.