Chicken Tortilla Soup With Lime
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenders (not breaded)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (don't touch your eyes after cutting pepper until you have washed your hands)
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 cups yellow corn tortilla chips (about 4 handfuls)
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce such as Tabasco sauce
- 1 quart chicken stock (store bought works fine unless you want to make it homemade) or 1 quart broth (store bought works fine unless you want to make it homemade)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, for garnish
- 2 limes, juice and zest of, combined
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (chopped)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (green onions, use both the white and green parts)
- Preheat a medium soup pot over medium high heat and add the olive oil -- a couple times around the inside of the pan should be fine.
- Chop the chicken tenders into bite size pieces.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the hot soup pot.
- Lightly brown the chicken for about 3 to 4 minutes, then add the garlic, bell peppers, onions, jalapeños, celery, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- While that is cooking place the tortilla chips in a food processor and process until well ground. I f you don't have a processor place the chips in a sealable plastic storage bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Add the ground tortilla chips to the soup pot and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken stock and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Simmer the soup for 15 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the sour cream. Pass the lime zest, chopped cilantro, and sliced scallions for each person to add to taste.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>My rating system: (I don't like giving bad reviews, so if I don't like it, I'll just not review it.) <br /><br />5 Stars OMG, this is one of the most amazing things I've ever eaten! I can't stop eating it, and I've eaten myself into a food coma. <br /><br />4 Stars The recipe is wonderful as is. I can't think of a single improvement and I will most likely make it again. <br /><br />3 Stars This needed a little *something*something*. I might make it again, but will add my own improvements if I do. <br /><br />I love to eat! And I love to cook. I tend to take over the kitchen when I get in there. Even the dog knows the command get outta my kitchen! LOL. Cooking for other people and trying new recipes or foods is FUN! I have a small (but growing quickly!!) cookbook collection and one of my favorite things to do is to read recipes and plan meals. Rachael Ray, Horn of the Moon and Moosewood are favorites of mine. <br /><br />We spend a lot of time outdoors camping, hiking and backpacking. Yup. I cook in the woods too! I've made deals with my hiking buddies... If they carry in my food, I'll cook for them. I recently published a backpacking cookbook. Check out the website: http://www.onepanwonders.com <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/AnimatedPRD.gif alt= /> <img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif alt= /></p>