Chicken Tonnato Salad
- Ready In:
- 2 cups fresh chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, cut into 3 pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 slices unwaxed lemons
- 8 -10 black peppercorns
- 4 chicken breasts (about 1 pound 5 ounces)
- 7 ounces dried eggs, pasta shapes
- 8 artichoke hearts, halved (optional~may use frozen and thawed)
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3 1⁄2 ounces canned premium tuna, drained
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 canned anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 5 -6 canned anchovy fillets, rinsed and chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 grated small unwaxed lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon small caper
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- salad leaves and cherry tomatoes, to serve (grape tomatoes may be used)
- First, prepare the chicken. Pour the broth and wine in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, add the onion, celery, bay leaf, lemon and peppercorns and simmer 5 minutes. Carefully lower the chicken breasts into the broth in a single layer, adding some boiling water, if needed, to cover them. Bring back to a boil, then turn the heat right down and simmer very slowly for another 5 minutes. Turn the heat off, cover the pan, and allow the chicken to cool in the broth. (This will take about 4-5 hours.).
- When the chicken is cool, make the dressing. Put the tuna in a food processor with the capers, lemon juice, and anchovies. Process until you have a paste. Add the mayonnaise and cayenne and process again until smooth. Turn into a large bowl. Put all the ingredients for the gremolata in another bowl and mix them together to combine.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, or according to package directions. Refresh with cold water.
- Once the chicken is cool, make the dressing. Put the tuna in a food processor with the capers, lemon juice, and anchovies. Process until you have a paste. Add the mayonnaise and cayenne pepper and process again until smooth. Turn into a large bowl. Put all the ingredients for the gremolata in another bowl and mix them together to combine.
- Remove the chicken from the poaching liquid and cut into rough chunks. Add the chicken, pasta and gremolata to the dressing and toss lightly. Check the seasoning adding more lemon juice or cayenne to taste (you shouldn't need salt.).
- To serve: arrange a handful of salad leaves on each plate, scatter over a few tomatoes, then spoon the salad on top. Arrange the artichoke hearts, if using, over the top and sprinkle with the roughly chopped parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!