Chicken Soup With Spinach, Eggplant & Tomato
This super-foods-packed soup helps the body recuperate and satisfies the soul. David makes this for me after the flu, a nasty migraine, or even just a tough day. Great on blustery days, too!
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 6 cups chicken broth (preferably homemade)
- 2 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 small Japanese eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt & pepper
- Place eggplant in a large colander and sprinkle lightly with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes (sweating the eggplant). Rinse thoroughly to remove salt and drain well.
- In a large non-stick pot, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil and garlic over medium heat, being careful not to burn the garlic (approx. 2 minutes).
- Add eggplant to pot and saute for 12 minutes.
- Add onion; saute until translucent.
- Add diced tomatoes (including liquid), dried thyme, and salt & pepper. Bring to boil. Then, simmer for 30 minutes stirring often and gently to break up tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, place thawed spinach into colander and use your hands to squeeze out any excess water; set aside.
- Add chicken broth, chicken, and spinach. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Serve with crusty French bread.
- NOTES: Eggplant is a thirsty vegetable and will soak up olive oil when sauteing. Do not be afraid to add extra oil as needed. If using store-bought chicken broth, then reduce to 4 cups and add 2 cups water.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is a Great Soup! any time of the year. I make mine really close to your recipe. I add 3 TBLS of rice to boost it up abit. Other than that we have the same thing going. I made your's just like ya said and it was great tasting and filling. I also use all homemade or grown myself stuff, including the chicken. Just makes it that much more special. Thanks for a Great Posting. Jimmbob.....Reply