Chicken Soup for the Soul
photo by Jana Steinhagen
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 26mins
- 2 chicken carcasses, with wings
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 3
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cut into 2
- 1 large onion, some of the skin left on (it gives the stock a lovely colour)
- 2 inches of the trimmings of a stalk broccoli
- 2 inches green part of a leeks
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves
- 5 allspice berries
- 1 garlic clove
- 10 parsley sprigs
- 3 grinds white pepper
- 1 couple of scrapes nutmeg
- and a good few pinches sea salt
- 1 cup stelline pasta (little stars)
- 1 white of a leek, sliced
- 1 stalk of a broccoli, diced
- 1 carrot, and parsnip i fished out the stock earlier and cubed
- 2 cups peas
- 250 g chicken pieces, picked of the carcasses after the stock is ready and cut into small bits
- 750 ml strained stock, to cover all the ingredients comfortably (keep the remaining stock for another time)
- 1 large handful of chopped fresh parsley
- First of all I had 2 chickens that I seperated the legs and breasts of to be used another time.
- The Carcass then cut into smaller bits I placed into a large stock pot and covered with my finest water.
- This is brought to a simmer and the foam skimmed of as it rises to the top.
- After about 10 minutes I add the vegetables and spices apart from the stelline pasta, cut leeks, peas and diced broccoli stem.
- This stock now is left to quietly simmer for 2 hours or more (it can be anything up to 24 hours, but who would want to wait that long).
- After 20 minutes I will lift out the carrot and parsnip pieces, cut them into cubes and use them in the finished soup.
- Strain the stock, pick any meat of the chicken and in another pot bring all remaining ingredients for the finished soup to a boil.
- Now it all just needs another 5 minutes of simmering to warm through the vegies, chicken and pasta. Then it's ready to make you feel good!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!