Chicken Smoked Chinese Chicken
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 (2 lb) chicken
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup tea leaves
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 sprig cilantro (to garnish)
- Toast the peppercorns in a pan, then crush them coarsely and mix with the salt. Rub the chicken with the peppercorn mixture, inside and out. Leave to stand for a few hours.
- 2. Place a large sheet of foil in a roasting tin so the foil hangs well over the sides of the tin. Sprinkle the sugar and tea leaves over the foil, put a rack in the tin and place the chicken on it. Bring the foil up over the chicken and fold together to seal. Cook in a preheated moderately hot oven (190°C/375°F, Gas Mark 5) for 30 minutes.
- 3. Unwrap the chicken and brush with the sesame seed oil. Return to the oven and roast, uncovered, for a further 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cut the chicken into serving pieces. Serve hot, garnished with Chinese parsley.
- Note: If you prefer, the chicken can be boiled or steamed for 30 minutes or until tender then roasted for 15 minutes. Chicken breasts or legs can be used instead of a whole chicken.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!