Chicken Shwarma - Chawarma Lahme
photo by Redsie
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 10mins
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon salt
- Cut the chicken breasts, or just white chicken meat, into long, slim strips, then into lengths that are about an inch long.
- Put them into a bowl or other container, and allow them to marinate in the lemon juice (or white vinegar, if you want), olive oil, crushed and diced garlic, yoghurt, tomato paste, salt, pepper and spices.
- Allow 24 hours for the flavors to develop.
- The following day, remove and drain the chicken pieces from the marinade, and saute them for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot as a mezze or for sandwiches along with thinly sliced onions, deseeded tomato, and any other crudites, or pickled crudites.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I first had chicken schwarma from a takeout restaurant in Iowa City, of all places. It was wonderful. When I ran across this recipe, I had to try it. I wound up letting the chicken sit over 2 nights, used more garlic, and fat free yogurt. After sauteing the chicken pieces, I threw in maybe 1.5 cups of halved grape tomatoes and a handful of chopped fresh parsley and stirred just to heat through. It was a good addition for color and texture. I stuffed the mixture into whole wheat pita pockets. It was a great, quick meal, with wonderfully flavorful and tender chicken. Thanks for posting!
I wasn't goingt to be home last night so I left this for my DH's dinner. I tasted it and thought it was good but I don't love chicken. My husband called me this morning just to tell me how much he loved this and said he wants it every night for the rest of the week at least. Thank you for posting this recipe.
So Yummy! This was just the perfect chicken recipe for Hubby & I. I kept the chicken whole and just pounded it thin, then let it marinate for 2 days, and then we grilled it on Monday night for dinner. It practically melted in our mouths, it was so tasty. I would not change a thing about this recipe, and I will definately be making it again. Thanks for posting this! Its my new favorite.
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><br /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/FFF/Switzerland-FFF4.gif alt= /> <br /><a href=http://photobucket.com target=_blank> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif alt= /> <br /></a><img src=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/Zaar%20Food%20Photos/SassyBanner.jpg alt=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/Zaar%20Food%20Photos/SassyBanner.jpg /></p>