Chicken Pot Pie Without the Pie
- Ready In:
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless (halves)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 potato, diced (small or if larger par-boil)
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- pepper (I use white pepper)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth (College Inn)
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Crisco or 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- • Saute onion until translucent to light brown. Remove the onion leaving the oil in the pan. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and brown them in the remaining oil. Remove the chicken and tear or cut it into pieces. Again leave any remaining oil in the pan.
- • Spray an 8 X 8 inch pyrex dish with Pam and put vegetables (frozen or defrosted but not cooked), onion and potatoes in bottom.
- • In the same pan add enough oil so that you have about a scant 1/3 cup in the pan. Add the flour, salt, pepper and celery seeds and stir constantly over medium heat until the oil and flour are combined and starts to brown. This cooks the flour a bit and helps it from tasting pasty. Slowly add the broth and milk and stir constantly with a wisk over medium heat until it thickens. Pour mixture over vegetables.
- • Pour mixture over the vegetables.
- • Mix 1/2 cup flour with baking powder then using a pastry cutter add the Crisco or oil to the mix until it is all blended well.
- • Add milk and eggs to flour mixture and stir until most lumps are gone and pour over all.
- • Bake at 350 degrees until edges start to brown and it is bubbly on edges. If the center looks underdone it should still be fine because it continues to cook a bit after you take it out of the oven. You can serve it in squares as you would lasagna.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!