Chicken Pot Pie with Buttermilk Biscuit Crust
This chicken and vegetable pot pie is extrememly comforting. Full of tender veggies and with a broth enriched sauce.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 12 ounces fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 can sliced mushroom, , I perfer fresh mushrooms (, I perfer fresh mushrooms)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In medium saucepan combine chicken breasts and water.
- Bring to a gentle boil and simmer til done. (about 15 minutes)
- Remove chicken from pan. Saving broth for later.
- Shred chicken when cool enough to handle, set aside.
- Add potatoes, celery and bouillon cube to reserved broth, bring to a boil and simmer for 12 mins or until veggies are tender. Set aside in heavy saucepan.
- Melt butter over low heat, add 2 tbsp flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook for 1 min stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in poultry seasoning.
- In large bowl combine shredded chicken, frozen veggies, sauce and mushrooms.
- Spoon into prepared casserole dish and set aside.
- In small bowl combine 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in remaining 2 tbsp (cold) butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in buttermilk until just mixed.
- Spoon the biscuit dough in lumps over the chicken mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until biscuits are golden and mixture is hot and bubbly.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Too many pots and pans! Also the recipe which maybe I am missing something never says when to add the potatoes and Celery with chicken broth to the recipe. It did not say how much water should be in the pot that you use after boiling the chicken? I was wondering why you could just not add the potatoes and celery raw to the rest of the vegetables ? I would suggest adding a can of cream of chicken soup and chicken broth and skipping the pot with the potatoes ,celery and bouillon chicken cube into the sauce. The crust was tasty and we put it under the broiler to brown. If I made it again I would throw every thing together and make the crust with the buttermilk.Reply
Really amazing flavour!! However, it is very time-consuming & I think I dirtied every pot & bowl in my kitchen. And, I'm really glad I read the other review about adding back the potato mixture - I wasn't sure if it needed to be drained or not so I ended up draining them. I also found that the biscuits were quite dense & didn't rise to cover the whole chicken/veggie mixture.Reply
see 4 more