Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuit Topper
- Ready In:
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken breasts
- 3 small onions, 1 cut in half, 2 chopped, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, EVOO
- 1⁄4 lb button mushroom, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken stock, reserved
- 5 -6 sprigs fresh tarragon, leaves picked and chopped
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening (I use Crisco)
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese (sharp)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Place chicken, whole onion halved and bay leaves in a large pot and cover with cold water. Place pot over medium-high heat and bring up to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until chicken has cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and let cool. Reserve about 2 cups of the cooking liquid and then save the remaining for another use.
- While chicken cools, place a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add chopped onion, mushrooms, carrots, celery and parsnips to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 7-8 minutes. While the veggies are cooking, remove the chicken breast meat from the bones and shred.
- When the veggies are tender, scoot them over to the side of the pan and add the butter to the center of the pot. Once butter has melted, add the flour and cook for about a minute. Whisk in white wine, milk, chicken stock and reserved poaching liquid. Bring up to a simmer then add the tarragon, Dijon, peas and shredded chicken. Bring back up to a simmer, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the sauce has thickened, 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to a casserole dish and cover with the biscuits, drop by spoonfuls over the top
- Bake the pot pie until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden brown ab0ut 20 minutes
- Mix flour, baking powder, and sugar together using fork.
- Mix in shortening with fork or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Stir in cheese.
- Lightly stir in buttermilk until just blended; do not overmix.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!