Chicken Pot Pie Dumplings
This is a recipe I made up, when trying to make homemade pot pies. They are not really dumplings, but I thought they resembled one from the outside appearance..... I used frozen prepared empanada discs in the freezer section of my local grocery store. They tasted spot on, and my family loved them..... If you want to make the gravy a little creamier, just add a touch of whipping cream to thicken it up.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 24mins
- 21 ounces chicken gravy, canned
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, fillets
- 16 ounces bread dough
- 16 ounces frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place chicken in baking dish, fill with enough water to cover chicken. Bake for 45 minutes. Let chicken cool. Using two forks, shred chicken. Set aside.
- Place mixed veggies on a cookie sheet and broil for 5-7 minutes. Stirring halfway through to avoid burning the veggies.
- Meantime, in a saucepan over low to medium heat, pour in the gravy and add the chicken. Allow chicken to simmer in the gravy and absorb the flavor while veggies are cooking.
- Once veggies are done, add to the chicken and gravy over low heat.
- Roll dough out thin into 8 inch discs.
- Repeat 12 times.
- Place the dough discs into each section of two large coated 6 cupcake pans. The dough will overlap, you will need it.
- Fill each cup with the chicken gravy mixture.
- Fold the flaps over the top of the chicken mixture, brushing the egg wash onto the dough flaps to "glue" the dumpling closed.
- Repeat for all 12 dumplings.
- Lower oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Extract dumplings and serve.