Chicken Perket Aka Croatian Chicken Stew
photo by Mary Cokenour
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 20mins
- 12 large plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1⁄2 cup flour, divided in half
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided in half
- 4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs angel hair pasta
- Set a 6 quart crock pot on high; spray inside with nonstick cooking spray.
- Begin layering ingredients inside – tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, ¼ cup flour sprinkled evenly over all, 1 tablespoon garlic. Place in the chicken breast pieces and spread the remaining ¼ cup of flour over them. Add the mushrooms, remaining garlic; then evenly sprinkle over the black pepper and paprika. Pour the stock and white wine over the top.
- Cover and cook for 3 and ½ hours; remove chicken and 1/4 of the vegetables. Use a stand or immersion blender to puree the remaining vegetables, and thicken the liquid. Return the chicken and reserved vegetables to the pot; cover and cook for another half hour before serving. Also during that last half hour, prepare the pasta to desired tenderness; place a serving into bowl and top with sauce, chicken and some vegetables.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!