Chicken, Parsnip and Mushroom Casserole
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- olive oil
- 2 leeks, washed and thickly sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 bay leaves
- 8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 200 g mushrooms, cleaned
- 1 kg chicken piece, skin removed
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in large ovenproof dish. Fry leeks, parsnips, bay leaves, garlic and onion until they turn golden.
- Add thyme and mushrooms and fry for a further minute.
- Add sweet potato chunks and sit chicken pieces on top of the vegetables. Pour enough boiling water over to nearly cover the chicken.
- Bake in 170c oven for 1hr, or until chicken is cooked through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- This can be served with couscous or whatever takes your fancy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was yummy and great for a fall dinner. I made the recipe as stated however I made a slight mistake and fogot to add the parsnips on the first step. Instead, when I realized my error, I microwaved them for about 2 minutes and added them right befor the chicken and the water. The stew seemed quiet thin when it was done baking so I ended up straining it and thicking the juice with some flour over the stove and serving that as a gravy. I served this with polenta and roasted brussel sprouts. Next time I am going to try browning the chicken lightly befor adding it to the veggies to bake and adding a little less water. Oh, and I thought that 8 garlic cloves seemed like a ton and was worried about how I was not directed to cut or dice them. Instead I was pleasently suprised when they melted in with the rest of the stew and the flavour was not overwhelming at all. A lovely comfort stew that was easy enough to prepare on a week night. Thanks!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Western Australia, by the beach. I have four children and I cook. I am excited about the spring and the ensuing summer. So many fruits and vegetables. Beaching and fresh fish. Endless afternoons and so many excuses to eat good food. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">