Chicken Parmesan With Fresh Mozzarella and Fresh Basil
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A great chicken parmesan recipe with bright, fresh flavors.
- Ready In:
- 4 large good sized boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup mayonnaise (lite mayo works fine!)
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (usually in the asian section of a regular grocery store)
- 1 (20 ounce) jar of good marinara sauce (Prego, Ragu, etc.)
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon garlic (or 2 cloves, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix italian bread crumbs with panko in a large dish.
- Slather each chicken breast with mayo and dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Put chicken breasts side by side in baking dish and cook in oven for 15-18 minutes or until they start to brown on the outside.
- Begin the sauce with jar of pasta sauce, can of tomatoes, sugar, garlic, salt and pepper (add a little onion if you wish). Simmer on low-medium heat until chicken is browning.
- Remove chicken from oven and pour all of the sauce over the tops of the breasts.
- Reduce oven temp to 375 and bake, uncovered, for another 20 minutes.
- In the last 5 minutes, pull the chicken out again and layer on slices of FRESH MOZZARELLA all over the chicken and return to oven.
- I usually turn the broiler on for about 2 mins to start the melting process then turn it back to the oven.
- Once the cheese has melted and started to bubble, remove from oven.
- Top with lots of torn Fresh Basil leaves.
- Serve with pasta.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is totally amazing! I didn't give it five stars because I didn't follow the recipe exactly and also fresh basil is in the ingredients and the title but not mentioned at all in the instructions! I did not use the sauce but made my own with a recipe I got from America's Test Kitchen that is out of this world! I did not cook the chicken in the sauce at all because I wanted it to be crispy. I served the chicken over penne pasta and sprinkled the torn basil over the cheese when I melted it. Then sauce over top. It was sooo pretty! The chicken was incredibly moist and tender. I will be making it again for sure! My family loved it!Reply