Chicken Paprika (Csirke Paprikash)
This is a great recipe! I recommend cutting up the chicken before mixing with the butter/basil tossed egg noodles. It makes it much easier to eat, and much more enjoyable, as the sauce gets to every inch of the noodles and chicken! The sauce is extra tasty, so make some good bread to sop up all the sauce! Add a wonderful salad and the meal is complete. This recipe is adapted from a recipe from the Masonic Grand Lodge of Fargo, North Dakota.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 -4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 (16 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package medium egg noodles
- chopped fresh parsley or fresh cilantro, to taste
- Melt 1 tbsp margarine in a large skillet. Cook mushrooms over medium heat until medium tender. Drain moisture from skillet. Melt another 3 tbsp margarine in the skillet, adding sliced onions and garlic. Cook until onions are tender. Stir in the vinegar and paprika.
- Meanwhile, mix flour and next 3 ingredients. Dredge the chicken breasts through the flour mixture. Place in the skillet with the vegetables, pushing them up against the side so the chicken will brown. Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Add water and chicken bouillon granules. Heat to a boil, then reduce to low and cover for 1 hour.
- Prepare the egg noodles according to the directions. Add 2 tbsp margarine and parsley/cilantro to taste.
- While the noodles are finishing up, remove the chicken from the heat. Add the sour cream. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- I prefer to cut my chicken up into bite size pieces and mix with the noodles. Another option is to serve the chicken on top of the noodles, topped with the sauce. It is just easier for kids and the "knife-challenged" to eat it if it is already cut up!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This was a really nice change for us and I love mild smoked paprika. The paprika really adds so much flavor to the mushrooms and the sour cream really tempers the flavors just enough. Made as directed with the exception of the parsley as I did not have any on hand. Used the egg noodles and served with a side salad. Made for PRMR tag, June, 2013.
Most of the chicken paprika recipes I've had contained tomatoes; I enjoyed trying one that did not. It was delicious, very flavorful. I did cut up the chicken, but since our chicken breasts were very large we had a lot left. I don't mind that; I'm looking forward to the leftovers! Thanks for posting!
This made a very enjoyable meal tonight, I only used 1 tablespoon paprika and 300g of lite sour cream instead of 450g but there was still heaps of sauce for us. Also in step 2 I felt 1 hour for the chicken to simmer was way to much for skinless/boneless chicken breasts (each about 230g) and were cooked in 1/2 hour. I served the chicken over curly fettuccine pasta and spooned sauce over the lot. Thank you breezermom, made for Everday is a Holiday.