Chicken Noodles and Mashed Potatoes
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken (pre cut and packaged pick of the chick like 2 chicken breasts, 2 chicken legs, 2 thighs, and 2 wings)
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 lb egg noodles
- 3 lbs russet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 2⁄3 cup 1% low-fat milk
- salt and pepper
Chicken & Noodles:
- In large pot add your chicken, water, carrots, onion, celery, garlic salt, seasoning salt, black pepper and parsley.
- Set heat to high. Bring to a boil and then turn to Med. Let cook for about 45 minutes.
- Grandma always used a pressure cooker, and I need to ask her how long she cooked her chicken when she used it. I always use her recipe in a regular pot because I don't have a pressure cooker. They kinda scare me actually when they whistle. haha.anyway --.
- Once chicken is done, remove it from broth and separate the bones and skin from meat. Return meat to the pot of broth.
- Turn heat back to high and when its brought to a boil, add your egg noodles. Let cook until noodles have soaked up most of the broth. Don't worry if they crowd the pot, they'll soak up all that yummy chicken and veggie broth and make a kind of sauce. Just make sure to turn temp down to Med-high after it's brought back to a boil.
- Peel and chop all of your potatoes and add to a separate large pot of water. Cook on high for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain water.
- Add margarine and milk to potatoes and using a hand held mixer or your kitchen aide, blend until fluffy and smooth. Add salt and pepper to them to taste. You may need a little more milk depending on how thick you want them.
- In a large dinner bowl or soup bowl add your mashed potatoes to the center. Ladle chicken and noodles over top of the mashed potatoes.
- Serve with rolls and butter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!