Chicken 'n Fruit Pinwheels
photo by MISSIB
- Ready In:
- 2 cups roasted chicken breast, diced
- 1 1⁄3 cups pineapple, finely diced (canned in own juice)
- 2⁄3 cup red onion, finely diced
- 2⁄3 cup celery, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, diced
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin, diced
- 1⁄2 large royal gala apples, diced
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Hellmans)
- 3 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Mix the first list of ingredients in a medium size bowl.
- I drained the pineapple and pressed as much juice from it as I could. Saved the juice to use some in dressing.
- Then make the dressing and add to the chicken and fruit mixture.
- I had the bakery dept slice a loaf of bread horizontally, then I cut the ends off.
- Spread the chicken mixture on each slice and then roll.
- I used an electric knife to slice the pinwheels.
- Amount of pinwheels will vary according to the type of bread you use and thickness of slices. I got 5 1/4-inch pinwheels out of one slice of bread using 1/3 cup of mixture.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I finally got this recipe made and boy am I glad that I did!!! My family loved this recipe. I will admit that I cheated and used flour tortilla wraps instead of the bread called for in the recipe. We ate these as appetizers and when we finished, we really didn't care about eating the meal. This recipe pretty much is a meal in itself. I did take pictures, and hope to get one posted soon. Thanks for the great recipe.
I was quite surprised with the filling for this recipe. Interesting combination of sweet and savoury. The sweetness of the pineapple was well balanced by the red onion and crunchiness of the celery. The pecans gave a special touch to the filling. Didn't seem like a combination that I would enjoy- boy was I surprised! Seemed liked a lot of dicing but the filling came together very quickly. Would be perfect to use a mandolin slicer/dicer for this recipe. I had a little difficulty with my loaf of bread -my own fault really as I couldn't get it sliced lengthways at the store and decided to try that myself. I think my slices were too thick. The long bread slices made attractive larger sized pinwheels. I had more success using regular sliced bread and removing the crusts. Noticed that the pinwheels were much easier to roll and slice if the filling was not too thick. We really enjoyed these pinwheels and they would be great for an outdoors buffet lunch or picnic. Roll and fill as close to serving time as possible. I think this filling would also be nice rolled into a crepe. Thanks MissiB for a great RSC#10 entry. It truely was a lovely hidden gem. Photos also being posted
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I currently live in Inverness, Fl USA came from MA USA I was born and raised in Massachusetts. Went into Womans Army and was a cook in Anniston Alabama, from there went to California where I worked as a secretary, got married had 2 wonderful sons. Husband was a southerner and he taught a lot of southern dishes. My grandmother taught me a few Portugese dishes, so i have a little variety. Owned 3 small home based businesses plus a clothing consignment and a Traveling Gift Shop For fun? I like to sing Karaoke, Crafts of all kinds (till my stroke) Favorite cookbook? I like them all My passions? My two grown sons and granddaughter (they are the best that has happened to me)FUND-RAISING OF ALL TYPES PET PEEVES: RUDE PEOPLE - to me there is NO excuse for rudeness or being mean <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/bugh8er/PinkSwapBanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/FFF/Switzerland-FFF4.gif"> <img src="http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/bella_donata/My%20Art/ApronSwap2007.jpg" border="0" alt="Made by Bella14ragazza"> . <img src="http://members.aol.com/sdnt4life/HGpart.jpg" border="0" alt="Hidden Gems Spring 2007"> alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://www.pickle.com/plink/ph/795B07337A4704307B51032E7D5F0A3578501C512307476E143E5A652E076C38735E0A377E5C0B31140741682C4659712C.jpg" border="0" alt="RSC-HiddenGem-part" title="Photo and Video Sharing"/>