Chicken Medallions with Apples
This is a Beth Elon recipe, and she's never let me down before. This is a great recipe for springtime, and is also kosher for Passover.
- Ready In:
- 1 large chicken breast, sliced thinly into 8 to 10 small medallions
- 2 green apples, such as granny smith,peeled and cored
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the chicken breasts into medallions.
- Put some flour onto a small plate, and brush the medallions lightly with the flour.
- Quarter the apples, and, with a large-hole grater, grate 6 of the quarters thickly.
- Slice the remaining two quarters thinly.
- Put half the olive oil in a large saute pan and saute the chopped onion and sliced celery until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the grated apple, mix well, and then add the sliced apples.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, mixing gently, then splash in the wine vinegar and 1/4 cup white wine, along with a pinch of sugar.
- Add the cloves and cinnamon and cook for another 5 minutes, mixing as the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the flame and put the contents into a bowl.
- In the same pan, wiped clean, heat the remaining oil and quickly saute the chicken medallions, a few at a time, not more than a minute on each side.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper as they cook.
- When finished, put all the medallions back in the pan and add the remaining wine.
- When it bubbles, pour over the reserved sauce, heat, and serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Lovely tasty Sunday Chicken dinner! My chicken breast just would not cut into medallions, more like strips, but it didn't affect the flavours at all. I also had to use red apples, no green available. We loved the apple mix, slightly tart and flavourful. Thanks for posting, I will be making it again.
Very good and also very low cal. The changes I made was using red apples, brocolli (instead of celery), white rice vinegar (instead of red wine vinegar), 1/8 tsp ground cloves (instead of 2 whole cloves)and chicken tenders - none of these changed the dish to any degree. Thanks for sharing this delicious easy-to-make skillet dish.