Chicken Manicotti With Red Pepper Cream Sauce
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 12 large manicotti
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut up (reduced fat is okay)
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream or 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup roasted sweet red pepper, chopped, more if desired
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained (optional)
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken or 2 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and well drained
- 2 -3 tablespoons thinly sliced onions
- salt and pepper
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 3-quart baking dish.
- Cook the pasta until tender; drain and rinse under cold water, toss with 1-2 Tbsp oil so the pasta won't stick together; set aside.
- Meanwhile, for the sauce, in a heavy-bottomed small saucepan, stir the cream cheese and 1/4 cup half and half over med-low heat until smooth.
- Stir in remaining half and half cream.
- Stir in the sweet peppers OR pimiento (if using), and Parmesan cheese; heat through, and mix.
- For the filling, in a large bowl, stir together 3/4 cup of the sauce (set the remaining sauce aside), the cooked chicken, broccoli, onion, salt and pepper.
- Using a small spoon, stuff each manicotti with about 1/4 cup of the filling.
- Place in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake, covered for 20-30 minutes, or until heated through.
- Place 2 manicotti on each serving plate, spoon sauce over the shells.
- NOTE:If desired, fresh minced garlic may be added to the cream sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Had to do significant tweaking on this recipe. There wasn't enough sauce to moisten the filling and top the dish. I added garlic, and used BOTH pimento and roasted red pepper, and needed to add more red bell pepper. The flavor blend is nice, but needs something - parsley? cayenne? more onion? but overall impact, even after all my tweaking, was a bit bland.