a Chicken curry from Pakistan
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 750 g chicken thigh fillets
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 500 g tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- heat 2 tbsp oil in a medium pot and fry onion and garlic for a few minutes on high heat (be careful not to burn onion).
- add the chicken, turmeric, chili powder and salt.
- fry over medium low heat for 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown, scraping the base of the pan frequently and turning the chicken.
- add tomatos, cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- uncover and simmer for 10 minutes so that excess liquid evaporates and the sauce thickens.
- add cumin, ground coriander, ginger and fresh coriander and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- serve hot with plain rice, pitas or naan bread.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I like the recipe, but as a tweak, for some added texture, I added cauliflower towards the end of the simmering process so as not to get it mushy, and then at the end added some heavy cream for a creamy texture, it made all the difference in terms of bringing out the flavors. I know its a big departure from the original, but give it a try and see what you think.Reply
see 8 more