Chicken in the Pot With Turnips and North African Spices
- Ready In:
- 1 whole chicken, 3 to 4 pounds, rinsed, patted dry, and cut into 8 pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 carrots, med. halved crosswise then halved or quartered lengthwise depending on thickness
- 2 turnips, sliced 1/4-inch thick, then cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans, cooked, 1/2 cup cooking liquid reserved
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat butter and oil in 12-inch sauté pan over medium-high heat. When butter foaming subsides, add chicken; sauté until browned on both sides, moving around to brown evenly, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Discard all but thin film of fat from pan. Add onion, carrots, and turnips; sauté, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, until pan juices evaporate, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Return chicken and accumulated juices to pan, moving vegetables to top. Add thyme sprigs, spices, chickpeas, and reserved chickpea cooking liquid; bring to boil. Lower heat, cover, and barely simmer until chicken is cooked through, basting three or four times, about 25 minutes. Place portion of chicken on each plate; top with vegetables. Ladle juices over both chicken and vegetables and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
These are my "girls" I am a wife,mom, massaage therapist that loves to cook, and collect recipes I collect Southern Living cookbooks,Cooking Southern Style, Gourmet and other recipe collections. I like to curl up with a good cookbook! <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/snow-queens-sm.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Holiday-plaid_HPI.gif"> <img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/my3chefs2009final-1.jpg"> <IMG src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/zaarironchef-participantbanner-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/i-recommend-participant.jpg" border="0" alt="I Recommend Tag Game Player"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/AMBadgeGenTP2009.jpg"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> </a><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/590105/hcabc.jpg> <img src="http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/NZT-2-AnnaciasZaarTagbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Annacia's banner for Zaar Tag"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Recipezaar%20Album/iplaytagin.jpg"> <img src="http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/Copyoftag300-banner.jpg" border="0" alt="Susie's Banner for Newest Zaar Tag"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/holidaybadge.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> "><a href="http://media.photobucket.com/image/3rd place ribbon/danikovu/RanchRiot/Ribbon3rd.png?o=3" target="_blank"><img src="http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/danikovu/RanchRiot/Ribbon3rd.png" border="0"></a><img src="http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/northwestgal/zwtbanner-small-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">