Chicken, Ham and Swiss Cheese Baked in Puff Pastry
photo by CulinaryExplorer
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- seasoning salt
- black pepper (or use white salt)
- 1 sheet puff pastry (use half of a package or use the 2 sheets for 8 pastries)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 8 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 slices cooked ham
- 4 slices swiss cheese (can 8 slices, 2 slices for each pastry)
- Lightly grease an 11 x 7-inch baking dish (if you are making 8 chicken pastries use a 13 x 9-inch baking dish).
- In a skillet melt the butter with oil.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and cook until browned on both sides (about 8 minutes per side) then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Unfold the pastry sheet and thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Roll out to a 14-inch square.
- Cut into 4 (7-inch) squares.
- Spread about 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard on the bottom of each square, then top with 1 slice of ham, then one (or two slices Swiss cheese.
- Place the browned chicken breast over the cheese.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg and cold water, then brush the edges of the squares with the egg mixture.
- Fold the corners to center on top of the chicken, then seal the edges.
- Place seam-side down in preaped baking dish.
- Brush the tops with egg mixture.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!