Chicken Gassi (Mangalorean Chicken Curry)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1 kg chicken
- 1 coconut, grated
- 5 -6 whole red chilies (use Kashmir chillies if possible for the best colour and they are not too spicy too. I use a mix of)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 3 -4 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 -2 tablespoon refined oil
- 50 g tamarind pulp (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 6 cloves garlic
- 250 ml water
- chopped coriander leaves (to garnish)
- Roast the grated coconut till light brown.
- Keep aside.
- In the same skiller roast the red chillies, coriander, peppercorns, cumin, poppy seeds, bay leaves and the fenugreek seeds in oil.
- Grind together the roasted coconut, garlic, cloves and roasted spice mixture to a fine paste with a little water.
- Marinate the chicken with salt and turmeric for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil.
- Add onions.
- Sauté till a light brown.
- Add the ground masala and cook for 20 minutes.
- Put in 250 ml of water and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook until done.
- Put in the tamarind pulp.
- Cook a little more and garnish with coriander leaves.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!