Chicken Fricassee With Tarragon
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces, bone-in, skin removed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra-virgin
- 5 large shallots, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth, reduced-sodium may be used
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 lb button mushroom, wiped clean (halved or quartered)
- 4 sprigs tarragon, fresh, plus 4 teaspoons tarragon, chopped or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream, reduced-fat may be used
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dredge in flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven.
- Add chicken, and cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add shallots to the pan. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add wine and scrape up any browned bits. Simmer until reduced slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth, and bring to a simmer.
- Return the chicken to the pan.
- Add carrot, mushrooms and tarragon sprigs. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer gently until the chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, and cover with foil to keep warm. Discard tarragon sprigs.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Simmer the cooking liquid for 2-3 minutes to intensify flavor.
- Add cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in sour cream, mustard, and chopped tarragon.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!