Chicken Dumplings - Simple!
- Ready In:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (7/8 ounce) envelope chicken gravy mix
- 3⁄4 teaspoon marjoram or 3/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen broccoli carrots cauliflower mix
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Heat oil in large non-stick saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook chicken until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the water, milk, gravy mix (dry), marjoram, salt, and frozen vegetables.
- Heat chicken mixture over high heat until boiling.
- Once boiling, reduce heat until mixture boils gently.
- Meanwhile prepare dumplings.
- Mix according to Bisquick directions.
- Drop dumplings by the spoonful into the chicken mixture.
- Cook uncovered 10 minutes.
- Cook and cover 10 minutes longer.
- (It seems unnatural to not stir the mixture, but I have found that if you stir the mixture the dumplings will be doughy).
- Enjoy-- great accompanying side dishes are cheese grits, applesauce, fried apples, and of course, sweet tea!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This isn't what I think of as chicken and dumplings (more like chicken and biscuits), however, this was a very easy recipe. Based on previous reviews, I added two packets of gravy (but I didn't increase the liquid). The comments I got were that this had too much liquid, so I will cut back on water if I make this again. I used fat-free milk and Bisquick Heart-Smart. I also couldn't find the broccoli/carrots/cauliflower mix, so I used a 16 ounce bag of mixed vegetables my family liked.
My teen dd made this for dinner last night and she did a great job. This was a very easy recipe to make. We discussed the recipe and she thought that it needed more gravy, so the next time (and there will be a next time!!!) we will double or triple the gravy portion as was previously suggested. Thank you HeliWif for helping our family have a wonderful dinner together.