Chicken Divan (Or Turkey Divan)
There are a few similar recipes on Zaar to this one, but none exactly the same. This is the one that my mom served when I was a child. The only change I have made is to use broccoli florets instead of frozen spears, which are difficult to cut when serving this up. I've also made this without the broccoli in a smaller dish. My mom always made this recipe with the chicken created when making chicken stock. Feel free to substitute cooked leftover turkey in place of the chicken.
- Ready In:
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen broccoli florets
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (13 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup (low fat or regular)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook broccoli until tender in the microwave.
- Place broccoli in the bottom of a 9 x 11 casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Spread chicken over broccoli.
- Combine mayonnaise, soup, lemon juice and curry powder. Spoon over chicken.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
For the sauce: 2 cups chicken gravy made from the drippings after cooking whole chicken breasts. Add 1/2cup mayo and 2 tbs lemon juice. Wisk until smooth. For on top of the broccoli: 1/2 cup combo shredded swiss & parmesan cheese. 1 cup buttered bread crumbs on top Layer in a buttered baking dish (I use my Corning ware 13"(about) square with 2" low edges): (1) Broccoli with florets facing opposite directions - 1 floret facing up then 1 floret facing towards me (2) Top with Swiss & Parm mix (3) Chicken after skinning & deboning in large pieces over cheese mixture (4) Sauce - pour over all (5) Buttered bread crumps sprinkled over the top Cook uncovered in 350degF oven for 30minutes. Sometimes I use Asparagus in place of the broccoli - also good! My niece calls this "Chicken Awesome"Reply
Made this for the second time tonight with the following deviations from the recipe: 1) used a pound of ground turkey as the meat source, 2) added a chopped stalk of celery and a half of an onion to the ground turkey when I fried it up, and 3) used panko bread crumbs mixed with cheese as the topping. Everyone loved it. I'll definitely make this dish again.Reply
This was excellent! I made the recipe with leftover turkey from Christmas. The only change I made was to substitute the can of cream of chicken soup with turkey broth and I doubled the mayonnaise because I am allergic to MSG. Also my husband loves cheese so I used a cup of cheese instead. Thank you for posting!Reply