Chicken Curry With Apples
- Ready In:
- 1hr 32mins
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into small serving pieces
- 3 medium granny smith apples, cored and chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced thinly or chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, more to taste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 5 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups regular brown rice, uncooked (not instant)
- In a large non-stick pot, heat canola oil.
- Salt and pepper the chicken, and brown it in oil.
- Remove chicken.
- Add apples, onions, garlic, curry and cumin.
- Saute, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Add broth and raisins.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add rice and chicken.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender, about 60 minutes.
- Serve with condiments such as chutney, chopped peanuts, toasted coconut, minced cilantro or sliced scallions.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation