This has to be the best home-made chicken curry I have tasted / made. It's a recipe that a friend gave me after she made it for a dinner party. Since said party, almost all guests have either asked for the recipe or have asked her to make it for them. It's not your average curry - it's like a cross between a Korma and a Tikka Masala. Tip: I once used reduced-fat coconut milk to save on calories etc but it really didnt taste as good as it does with the full fat stuff! So dont cut corners! You can also vary the amount of chilli you put in to suit your personal taste! The following recipes serves 4 people.
- Ready In:
- 4 large chicken fillets
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄2 red chili pepper
- 1⁄2 green chili pepper
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pinch salt
- Finely chop the garlic, chilli's and ginger and fry for approx 1 minute in 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a large wok / casserole dish.
- Finely chop the onion and add to the above, frying for 10 minutes until the onions are transparent. Be sure not to let them brown. Halfway through cooking, add the chilli powder, turmeric and curry powder.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for approx 20 minutes Carefully season, if required.
- Slice/chop the chicken and fry in the remaining oil in a separate pan along with the ground coriander. When the meat is sealed, add it to the above sauce and let it cook for a further 30 minutes on a low heat.
- If the sauce needs to be thickened, simply add cream or mix a teaspoon of cornflour with a drop of milk and add to the sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I just made this for Fathers day. We just moved to an area that is drastically lacking Indian restaurants. My family loved this. My wife and I added some fresh chopped chillies to spice it up a little more as we like it hot. I followed the directions to a T. Next time I will add more Vegetables. Great easy recipe.
I was very excited about this recipe. I love incorporating fresh ingredients when cooking. I didn't have all the ingredients listed in the original recipe but it was still okay. I substituted the chilis with cayenne and added diced green, red and yellow peppers. I didn't have coriander so I added dried parsely to the chicken before adding to the sauce. After I let simmer for 30 min. I tasted and it definitely needed sail. I added chicken bouillon. Now that made for some tasty curry. Yummy!