Chicken, Corn, and Couscous Salad
- Ready In:
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup couscous
- 2 small chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 vidalia onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red chili pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 cups corn kernels (Martha says to slice them off a fresh ear of corn, but I use canned)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- Whisk together the curry powder, mustard, and vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk in 3 tbsp of oil and set aside.
- Prepare the couscous by bringing 2/3 cups of water to a boil (use 1 cup of water if you omitted the chicken and are using the 3/4 cups of couscous).
- Remove from heat, add couscous, and let sit covered for about 5 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the chicken until just done; the time will depend on how big your chicken pieces are.
- Remove the chicken to another dish and keep warm.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and chile and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes until softened.
- Add corn; if using raw then cook about 5 minutes until bright yellow and tender, if using canned then just heat though.
- Combine chicken, corn mixture, and couscous.
- Add curry mixture and cilantro and toss to combine.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was my first time cooking with curry or couscous and I have to say that this recipe was great. It has a lovely combination of flavors. I followed the recipe almost exactly, I decreased the amount of oil to 1 1/2 tbsp to lessen the fat amount and cooked the chicken in cooking spray instead of oil. I used chili flakes, a can of corn, and a sprinkle of dry cilantro. This recipe was very tasty and easy and I will be making it again. Thanks again Kitty.