Chicken Breasts With Vinegar Sauce (Guyana -- Caribbean)
photo by breezermom
- Ready In:
- Season chicken breasts with salt & pepper, to taste.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat then add oil & butter.
- Add chicken & brown on one side, about 8 minutes, then turn over, reduce the heat & cook, covered, at least 10 minutes. Then remove breasts to a serving platter, & keep warm.
- To the skillet add the chopped onion & cook until transluscent, about 5 minutes, then add the wine vinegar & turn heat to medium-low.
- In a small container mix cornstarch with the tablespoon of water & mix thoroughly before adding it to the skillet, stirring to combine. Continue cooking & stirring until slightly thickened, then pour the onion mixture over the chicken breasts & serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wow! I love this sauce! However, I'm a vinegar junkie, so this was near perfect for me. If I was going to serve this to DH, I'd add a little sugar; but for myself- oh, yum! I used red wine vinegar, since the recipe didn't specify color, the result was a gorgeous golden-brown glossy sauce. I also used shallots instead of regular onion, since I had them on hand. Two more (small) changes- I cut the recipe to serve one as I was dining alone- no problem in this case. Second change was that I omitted the vegetable oil- the butter was plenty to keep the chicken from burning, and I'm watching calories so I didn't want to add any more fat than I had to. As I type, I'm licking the last of the sauce off of the plate- a definite keeper. Thanks for posing an outstanding recipe!
My sister said this was a 4, I thought it was a 5-star. Therefore, rounding it up gives it a 5*. You must really like vinegar, however, which I do. Otherwise, better add a little sugar! Really easy to prepare and went extremely well with the Recipe #373072 I, also, made. Thnx for posting, Syd. Made for ZWT5 for RRR